Saturday, February 12, 2011

Live the Boss Life -- Create Visions, Not Dreams Part 3

Live the Boss Life -- Create Visions, Not Dreams Part 3

Read Part 1 and Part 2.

Now that we have a goal and we’ve created a path, step three is planning the steps you’ll take own that path.

Let’s say that your goal is to become a doctor. Your path is to first get good grades throughout high school and an undergrad, then work for a few years in something related to medicine, like in the medical research field. Then apply to medical l school, pass the boards, go through three to four years of residency and by then you can practice medicine wherever and whenever you want.

This is a complex path that will take over a decade to accomplish! Many items along this path are difficult to achieve in and of themselves. After all, we all want (or wanted) to get good grades in school, but that also takes hard work. In order to walk this path, we need to map the steps.

3. Map your steps

Let’s start with good grades throughout high school. The number of classes you have to take each year vary, but in each of those classes, let’ say that your goal is to get at least a 90 average per semester in each of your classes. In order to get this 90 average, you will need to study all of your subjects two hours per day, six days a week, for each semester you are in class.

This may require that instead of running for class president or joining the soccer team, you have to study. Or instead of screwing around on the Internet for two hours a night, you have to limit yourself to half and hour.

4. Stay disciplined

All of this takes a tremendous amount of discipline to accomplish. Somedays, people don’t feel like studying, or there are these really awesome cat videos you want to watch on YouTube.  But almost no one becomes a doctor accidently. It takes years of hard work and practice to accomplish a goal, and a lot of discipline to stick to your goals and remember what you’re working for. That’s why doctors make the big dollars and are respected in the community. That’s why they live the “Live The Boss Life.”

In my own life I’ve tried to follow this plan. For example, last year I wasn’t happy with the direction of my career. My bosses didn’t give me the respect I deserved, the pay wasn’t great, the work wasn’t fulfilling and I wanted a change. So I started a plan to get a job in a similar field that was a little more tech-orientated. The path was to research the company I wanted to work for, find if they were hiring, call the hiring manager or HR person and make my “elevator pitch” to be hired, nail every interview I went on and be humble throughout the salary negotiations.
It worked. I am much happier now than I was before and my colleagues tell me they love the job I’m doing.

You too can “Live the Boss Life” and do nearly anything you ever wanted. Just be sure to create visions, not dreams, and execute your vision until it becomes a reality. Follow livethebosslife on Twitter

11 comments:

  1. Followed. Well done on getting your career back on path.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Stuff,

    Thanks for the note. I'm following you too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. followed. very good blog, and nice post :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. very good advice, can learn a lot from this

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks, guys. I'll be sure to follow your blogs as well.

    ReplyDelete
  6. These are what I consider common sense. If you follow them you will become great.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for the advice, I'm going to follow your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I appreciate the kind words. I see a lot of people complaining about how their life sucks and how they never accomplish anything. They feel like they're wasting their lives and they're right! But they don't have to.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Well, keep on studying and working, Jacob and you'll get there. Looks like you're following your own vision as we speak.

    ReplyDelete